History

The Joule's Market Drayton Bowling Club is situated in the heart of Market Drayton and very conveniently right behind the Joule's Brewery and Red Lion Tap.

As far as we know the club existed before 1830 as the green is shown on a tithe map. At that time it was located at the top of Church Street located roughly where the British Legion is now. In the late 1880s the owner of the land required it for other purposes and offered the club the use of the old vegetable garden behind the Corbet Arms. The club used the green from 1890 and since then has been in continual use with the exception of the two World Wars.

Market Drayton Bowling Club 1922 Market Drayton Bowling Club 1922 Members

The club was very successful until the Beckett family retired, with about 80 members and 9 teams in the various local leagues. However uncertainty regarding the future of the green resulting from The Corbet Arms changing ownership lead to a gradually diminishing membership. We also lost our water electricity supplies around this time.

Joule’s Brewery came to the rescue with a water supply and we bought a generator sufficient to run the flood lights. In 2015 Joule’s Brewery purchased the green thus ending its 125 years of association with The Corbet Arms. Joule’s sponsors a great many clubs from differing sports so we are able to look forward to long and successful bowling at one of Shropshire’s oldest greens.

Green Hand Over to Joule's Brewery

It is interesting to note that in 1905 Joule’s Brewery (then based in Stone) owned The Corbet Arms and ran it and supported the club for a good many years so we have now turned full circle. We also own two pairs of woods of the type used in the 17th century suggesting the club could be a great deal older.

Mrs Clifford's Cup Final